Monday, March 26, 2012

Good bye, Call Light

Source: http://jparadisirn.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/call-light.jpg

This morning's sit was a retreat from both the busy and mundane. Have you ever discovered the busy life to become a dull, mundane sort of roar? At this moment in life, I am rushing away from something. It is often that I discover that I am rushing toward something; and that is a true rush for me, indeed. But to be rushing away from something is less my sort of 'RUSH'. 

Sitting has become a lifeline; and while it is not quite a daily practice, it is consistent enough to be life giving, nourishing, and essential. 


During my sit, I experience a flash flood of sensation such as,
tingling 
            aching 
                       shimmering 
                                           bubbling
                                                          trembling
                                                                          tearful
                                                                                    tumbling
                                                                                                       sweeping . . .
                                                                                                                           soothing . . . 

Quite the cascade, all in all, yet so honest and true and essential.


As I head to work in the field of Arts in Medicine, I feel optimistic, connected, and ready for the day after sitting for a few minutes. As a patient in the hospital uses the call light to get the nurse's attention, I too have days that I keep the call light close at hand. And there are always those patients who are never quite settled, who may not have a loved one attending, or may be in dire pain or suffering, and utilize the call light day and night. It is very difficult for a nurse to respond to a constant call from a patient while caring for others. 

When we practice the arts in healthcare, at the bedside of an uncomfortable patient, we hear from nursing staff that patients are more prepared for the day. Nurses state, "our patients stay off the call light when they have experienced ART in the morning. They seem ready for the day." This translates to happier, focused, and positively optimal nursing care.

After I have been wholly with myself, in this sit, I do not require a 'call light' either. I too am happier, focused and positively optimized for whatever the day may bring. Sure, I'll keep the call light for the big stuff, but for the daily grind, I say, "Good bye, call light! Hello, Sit!"

No comments:

Post a Comment