Friday, February 17, 2012

Greetings, Monkey Mind! I come in Peace.

"Taming the Monkey" Source: http://www.projectevolution.net



Ahhhh, the end to the week has arrived. This morning's sit filled my cup, so to speak. I am sipping soothing quiet, as my friend Kay might say, from a very full and grateful place inside myself. I sat for quite some time, first reading and reflecting in my sitting spot, before growing still and putting my book-companions aside.


 During sitting, I have changed my tune. Prior to sitting this year, I anticipated the need to quiet thoughts gently and often, allowing them to move along as a leaf on a flowing river in order to stay present in the moment. The very purpose of sitting, in my mind, was to take a break from thinking, and just be. 

While I still appreciate the 'sits' during which I experience my mind as quiet, relaxed and peaceful, I am also starting to notice the content of my thought and view it is as valuable and useful information. I notice if I am looping on one thought track, or if a very old memory emerges, for example. Whatever the thought, I am learning so much about my 'monkey mind' by paying attention to what comes up rather than feeling disturbed by the very thought that I am thinking.


In essence, I am beginning to make peace with my thinking mind. What a thought!


No comments:

Post a Comment