Wednesday, February 15, 2012

On Rain and Being in Charge

Double Alaskan Rainbow from www.wikipedia.org


This Earth needs the rain. In North-Central Florida, the water levels are despairingly low. And yet, if I was in charge of things, I can't imagine a day in which I would SCHEDULE rain in advance. Of course, you'd have to find time to send rain along, but rain is so often considered a hassle, a bother, it slows down the work commute and we can't go outside to play. Rainy days can be considered sad or low energy days. Most of us wouldn't bike to work on a rainy day unless we had to. How short-sighted we humans can be!


And yet, when surprised by a rainy day, I am delighted! Rainy days are resting days. The music of a rainy day is the best cadence in all the world. Rainy days are merciful days.


My word, how we need and love the rain to make our gardens grow, to nourish our vegetables and fruit and grains. How we need the rain to live!


My friend and wise teacher, Kay, taught me years ago the utter beauty and grace of the Gray Day. Kay understands deeply about color and light and shadow; and she loves Gray. From Kay, I learned that we have the opportunity to shine the brightest against a gray palette. Colors sing on a gray backdrop!


May you shine today . . . no matter the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment