Thursday, January 5, 2012

Sitting Day Eight

This morning's sit came in the midst of the busy and mundane. Work around the house needed doing and the morning started with very efficient dressing of the girls and hot breakfast before school which led me straight down the path of BUSYNESS. It is garbage day and garbage day always gets me hopping. I gather up all of the trash throughout the house and carry it out and then drag the two recycling bins, all separated, down to the end of the drive. Then I go back up the drive for the trash bin and today, I made a fourth trip to recycle our holiday tree. High on all of this 'doing', I raced in to move the laundry to the dryer, clean the kitchen from breakfast duty, and suddenly remembered I had ordered a new pair of plum Earth Mary Janes online that I had stashed in my closet to try on when I had a moment. Plum purple has long been my favorite and my best in the Crayola 64 box and well, Mary Janes, you just can't go wrong. You get the drift...

It is no surprise that this morning's sit felt disjointed. Still, I sat for several minutes. My observation this morning was that I was literally holding my breath. Today, I will take the practice into my day as I observe my breath for other moments when I am not breathing deeply. Grateful still, to simply sit.






2 comments:

  1. No sit yet today.... Off to have tea with a friend. Sitting comes after in the quiet of the afternoon. Though I haven't visited here for a few days, I have sat. Once in the deep still of night/early morning bathed in the brilliant light of the first quarter moon as she washed her light and shadow self across my bed. That felt holy. The sits get longer and more still each time (so far). And I love the practice of coming here to share the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, I am moved to imagine the light of the first quarter moon casting light and shadow. Holy indeed. Keep the sharing coming as often as you frequent the blog. The exchange is enlivening!

    ReplyDelete